Monday, April 5, 2010

A Plan!! A Challenge! A...potentially awesome 7 weeks?

Every week at our Weight Watchers meeting I sit and listen to our leader, Tex (name changed to protect her privacy, til I hear otherwise), talk about that week's topic. In the past, most of the topics that the WW powers that be deem worthy of talking about have bored me to tears. It seems to be different this time around though. I know that part of it is that my head is in the right place and I'm more willing to actually take in the information. The other part of it is that Tex - a petite little fireball from Texas (didn't see that one coming did you?) with the enthusiasm of 10 people - makes it FUN! She doesn't just stand at the front of the room and drone on at all the gals and hope that someone is listening. She engages us. She encourages us. She supports us. But more importantly, she reminds us that she hasn't always been the petite woman we see every week. She has also been heavy.

At the end of every meeting, Tex asks us what we're going to do that week to make sure we succeed at the scales.....in our journey. And every time, she gets the same old stock answers fired back at her:

Tracking our food

Exercise

Drink water

I can't help but feel like we're letting her down. Why don't we flesh those things out and actually come up with a plan? An honest to goodness PLAN!!

So, that's what I'm doing. Right here, right now. The inspiration for mine came from a challenge that I saw today on the blog the Prior Fat Girl. She discovered she'd gained 13 lbs (about 6 kgs) and wanted to do something about that. So she came up with the 10+3 Action Plan. They're already 3 weeks into that challenge so I'm putting my own twist on it and setting up my own, slightly shorter, timeline. I invite you all, whoever might be out there reading, to join me. Come up with your own plan.

The general goals of PFG's action plan were much like the stock answers we come up with at our meetings.

Workout regularly (she had 5 days a week)

Journal food

Drink water

And that's fine. But to make it a successful plan, you have to put yourself into it like she did. So here's mine

GOAL #1

Working out a minimum of 5 days a week - I don't want to corner myself and say that I will be working out for 90 minutes a day on each of those days but I will say that I will do a minimum of 30 to 60 minutes a day. These exercises will include such pleasures (*snort*) as:

swimming

walking (I do have that Half Marathon I'm meant to be training for!)

gym circuits (weights & cardio)

Wii Fit & Wii Biggest Loser (Bob's a jerk!)

I've already mentioned that when I exercise I feel better mentally, so maybe this will be beneficial for my husband and kids too? Happy Mommy = Less Yelling...right?

GOAL #2

Drinking MORE Water - I had this grand idea at one point, that lasted all of twelve seconds, that I would cut out ALL the Diet Coke I was drinking and only drink water. Cold turkey. Moron. I very quickly managed to develop a massive caffeine withdrawal headache which in turn made me guzzle a ton of Diet Coke to make it go away. I'm still drinking it. Actually I'm drinking Coke Zero because, y'know, it's soooo much better for you.

Then I came up with the idea that I would drink one bottle of water for every glass of Coke that I was drinking. Um. Yeah. Well, I peed a lot.

So what's the grand plan now? I don't really know. I do know that I need to cut out the Coke, but I can't do the cold turkey thing again. So how about this for now:

Week 1 - Maximum of 3 glasses of Coke Zero per day. Minimum of 5 glasses of water.

Week 2 - Maximum of 2 glasses of Coke Zero per day. Minimum of 6 glasses of water.

Week 3 - Maximum of 1 glass of Coke Zero per day. Minimum of 7 glasses of water.

Week 4 - No more Coke Zero. Minimum of 8 glasses of water.

This is to be tracked on fridge chart.
Totally doable right? Mmmm. We'll see.


GOAL #3

Keep a journal of ALL food (and drink) that goes into my mouth - I have been so incredibly slack in this department lately. I keep telling myself that I've been keeping track in my head, but then I remember that well there was that mint earlier and the latte...did I account for those? Probably not.

I have purchased a lovely spiral notebook where I will write down everything that I eat. It will fit in my purse and even coordinates well with my WW points calculator. A lot of the time I can plan ahead because I menu plan for evening meals, and I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast & lunch 99% of the time. MUST STAY WITHIN POINTS - My first mini goal (sub-goal?) for this challenge is to not exceed my daily points at all. DO NOT EAT EXERCISE POINTS - I've always been good about this but my second mini goal is to not use any of the points I earn doing exercise.

**********

TIME FRAME

Today is Monday, April 5th. My regular day for weighing in at Weight Watchers is Wednesday.

So this challenge will, for me, run from the morning of Thursday, April 8th til the evening of Wednesday, May 26th. That's 7 weeks. It also means I'm ending on my 31st birthday. Hopefully there'll be a good result!


UPDATES

I will continue to post on Wednesday evenings with updates on my weight but I will try to flesh them out with updates about how I'm meeting these goals too.


SCALE VS NON SCALE VICTORIES

It is always important to remember that even though the numbers on the scales aren't going the way you want them to, or going fast enough, that there are other victories. Because of this, I will take my measurements on Thursday morning when I start this. I will then take them half way through and again at the end. Let's see how much of a difference these 7 weeks can make!


WHAT ABOUT THE END?

So what do I get at the end of this? Is there a challenge reward?

Well, I'd like to think that there will be a really cool number on the scales that will make me jump for joy. That will be reward enough. Beyond that....I don't know. Maybe I'll buy myself some lowlights for my hair or something.

And then....I'll start a new challenge for myself!

7 comments:

  1. I love what you said about the scale vs. non-scale victories. We are usually so disappointed when the scale doesn't cooperate that we don't take the time to realize that our bodies are still changing and we are still re-shaping. Sometimes I use my clothing as a measuring device. When those jeans get looser, and the scale hasn't budged, I don't get upset with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now. Where is your support team? DO you have AIM? I am MrsWyatt63 on there. If you are feeling weak, pop me a message, and I'll talk you through it. Who else is in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for having a plan. I keep a pitcher of water in the fridge and my goal is to drink it twice empty each day, but for my kidneys, not for weight loss. Some days I do it, some days I don't. Some days I keep a second pitcher of crystal light and alternate glasses of each. That helps, when I feel sick of water. I cut out the coke zero a while back though and not only do I sleep better, I have less pms symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really thought out this plan!! I am going to try to do a plan for me!!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good plan mate. Here's hoping it works for you, it should!
    I used to follow a plan too.. all except for the water!
    I simply don't drink water! I only drink Diet Coke... about 1.5 litres a day!
    I was told I could NOT lose weight without drinking 5-6 glasses of water a day. HA! Proved them all wrong... I lost 61 kilos and didn't drink a SINGLE DROP of water. LOL
    Diet Coke is made of water eh???

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a reasonable and sensible plan...wish you luck! Reminds me I should drink more water...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's what I needed to see to kick my butt back in gear - goals with an actionable plan to achieve them. Once again, you've helped me, my friend. Thanks!!! And you can do this! I know you'll be blown away by your results at the end of the 7 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete