Thursday, September 23, 2010

Weigh in Results

Well, I've made a discovery! I mentioned in my last post that I had the stomach flu. As a result of that stomach flu, I didn't eat for a few days...and was losing weight. Then I started to feel better and began to eat a little bit. Turns out that after not eating for a while, when you start again, your body starts holding onto it all. I know that probably doesn't come as a shock to most of you but I was a little more surprised than I perhaps should have been.

Where I had been expecting a loss of more than 1 kilo (2.2 lbs), I actually had a loss of 700 grams (1.54 lbs). Nothing to scoff at, for sure, but certainly less than I was expecting. I'll take it though. I feel like I may have actually broken the plateau that I had for June, July and August.

So. Current weight = 137 kgs (301.4 lbs)

I've really, majorly, kicked my ass into gear. I needed to. I had to break the plateau, I needed to see those numbers going down again and MOST importantly, I have a wedding to go to in April. Not only do I have to be AT the wedding, but I have to be IN it. I'm the Maid of Honour. So we'll see how much I can lose between now and the end of April so I can look half decent in my dress.

I'm trying something new. A friend that I met at WW mentioned it last week and I thought I'd give it a go. It's another one of those things that most of you will probably read and say "well DUH" but for some reason it never really connected in my head til last week.

I'm following my hunger signals instead of the clock. Instead of having breakfast at 8am, a snack at 10am, lunch at noon, a snack at 3pm and dinner at 6pm...followed by boredom eating in the evening.....I am eating when I am actually hungry. Sure, I have my breakfast at 8am like normal but instead of eating because the clock says I should, I wait until I'm actually hungry. Or that's the idea. Today was the first day and it went really well. Tonight I felt hungry but it turned out I was just thirsty. One nice big bottle of water later, and I felt much better.

We'll see how it goes for the next few days.


Make sure you come back on Monday....I'll have a giveaway starting courtesy of CSN Stores!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Maggie - be interesting to see how you go with the hunger eating method - I am also a clock eater! When you need to stick to a schedule what can you do....
    Have you set yourself some mini goals for the April wedding?
    Great to see you blogging again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe very strongly that the reason most diets fail is that they do not address this very issue. We tend to eat for reasons other than hunger and we seldom stop when we're full. Re-learning to recognize and respond to hunger and especially satiety is a HUGE step. Diets usually take the place of this internal sense - they tell us what to eat and how much to eat and when to stop eating, but they don't tell us to eat when we're hungry and stop when we're full. I can't wait to hear how this works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're still making progress - that's the key. I wish I could listen to my hunger signals more often - I'd do so much better if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had an upset stomach once when slimming... I was secretly feeling quite smug that I would have a decent loss that week, and that thought kind of made up for all the nastiness. When I got to group, I'd actually put weight ON! A doctor friend of mine then explained that your body will have lost a lot of water as a result of the bug, and it will then probably retain it to begin with once the illness stops. Kind of makes sense!

    You're doing so well, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the loss!

    Eating according to when you are hungry is the best thing you can learn to do. Seriously. It will benefit you so much in the long run. And it looks like you are already doing a good job distinguishing real physical hunger and things like thirst. Good job! I eat according to hunger. I don't have set meal times and I like the flexibility and ability to listen to my body. It doesn't work for everyone (some people NEED structure) but I think it's the best.

    ReplyDelete